Colocation Hosting Information and Service Providers
Colocation hosting is a service that is provided to businesses that want all of the benefits associated with a large IT department without all of the cost. While many large corporations can afford to house their servers on their own property, smaller businesses often lack the space and the overhead required to do so. Companies that provide colocation hosting generally offer the facility, bandwidth, cooling, electricity and physical security needed to keep a server up and running. While the business is often required to provide its own equipment, there are some colocation providers who allow business owners to lease this equipment as part of the monthly fee.
- Superb Internet Colocation Hosting Overview
- Lunarpages Internet Colocation Hosting Overview
- PhoenixNAP Internet Colocation Hosting Overview
- HostDime Internet Colocation Hosting Overview
- Steadfast Internet Colocation Hosting Overview
- Nexcess Internet Colocation Hosting Overview
- Colocation vs. Managed Hosting
- Why Choose Colocation Hosting?
- The Pros and Cons to Colocation Hosting
Superb Internet is a company that offers plenty of solutions for business owners who need colocation hosting. The company offers plenty of benefits when it comes to such hosting, and their physical data centers are located in Washington, D.C., in Springfield, VA and even on the West Coast in Seattle, WA. Some of the benefits associated with Superb Internet include:
- Physical Security – Natural disasters, theft and fire are no match for Superb's facilities.
- Virtual Security – Firewalls, daily information backups and more are provided to virtually protect information.
- Affordable Bandwidth – Cost savings are possible thanks to efficient IP structures.
- Generators On-Site – Information is protected in the event of an outage.
- Constant Climate Control – Humidity, temperature and even particulates are all regulated.
Overall, Superb Internet offers excellent facilities for colocation hosting. Aside from this, the company also provides business owners with the opportunity to lease-to-own the equipment they need.
Lunarpages owns and operates two colocation facilities in Southern California—one in Los Angeles and another in Irvine. Each facility offers outstanding services and a wide range of services to meet the needs of any business. In addition to this, the company also offers a guaranteed network uptime of 99.99%, something that is not offered by other providers. Some of the company's offerings are:
- Varying Server Sizes – Choose from single server, ¼ rack, ½ rack or even full rack solutions.
- Excellent Backbone Connection – 1000Mbps connection through fiber cable for unsurpassed speed.
- Secure Systems – Due to location, racks are seismically secured. Company provides 24 hour video surveillance, limited access to data centers and constant monitoring of all facility visitors. Entry is only allowed with assigned keycard.
The company also provides excellent climate control, plenty of extras at absolutely no charge, and plenty of technical information regarding HVAC usage, power, floor space and more on their website.
PhoenixNAP is a company that is based in Phoenix, AZ and provides a colocation facility here as well as in Ashburn, VA. The company takes pride in excellent customer support and strives to help businesses make the most of their resources. Along the same lines, the company claims that the AZ facility is the safest in the country when it comes to protection from natural disasters. Some of their other claims to fame include:
- Plenty of Product Options – Choose from ¼ racks, ½ racks, full racks or even caged suites with redundant power options.
- On-Site Services – PhoenixNAP offers on-site electricians as well as cabling and security teams.
- Equipment for Lease – Businesses can lease things such as RAM, racks, HDDs and more.
PhoenixNAP is a great option for those who want to be able to choose the amount of server space they need and create a plan that fits their business's budget. It is also one of the few companies that provides business owners with the opportunity to lease their equipment rather than purchase it separately and deliver it to the facility.
HostDime offers a colocation facility in Orlando, FL that is safe from natural disaster thanks to concrete walls around the perimeter. It is resistant to storms up to Category 4 in strength and it provides a conference room and lounge area for clients. Some other features offered by HostDime include:
- Security and maintenance personnel on-site around the clock, 365 days a year.
- Plenty of physical security and tracked electronic access control.
- ADT-provided biometric hand scanners for incredible security.
- Routine systems testing and maintenance.
- Level 3 communications availability.
- Constant air conditioning and humidity control. Rooms are kept at 72 degrees Fahrenheit and humidity is kept at a constant 45%; these conditions are considered optimal for server function.
All of the services listed on HostDime's website are completely guaranteed. There are engineers, electricians and support staff on hand around the clock, and these individuals are HostDime employees rather than hired outside companies. The company is always looking for the newest and most innovative technologies so that they can provide outstanding service not only in the Orlando region, but also throughout the entire world.
Steadfast operates three colocation centers; there are two in Chicago and one in New York City. The company notes that the products and services they offer are always completely scalable, so the services will grow with any business. There are plenty of options from which to choose at only a fraction of the cost associated with building an in-house data center. Some of the benefits provided by Steadfast include:
- Completely redundant data centers so information is always online.
- SLA provides a 100% uptime guarantee to provide stability and security.
- Access to multiple options for carriers allows for plenty of customization.
- Protection from fire and other environmental hazards.
- Initial server racking is provided free of charge.
- SSAE16 and SAS70 compliant.
The facilities offered by Steadfast are enterprise-grade and are backed up with batteries and a fully-powered diesel generator. Some of the networks that supply Steadfast include nLayer, Tata, Inteliquent, NTT and others.
Nexcess offers single-server hosting in their Dearborn, MI data center. The features and services that are available to business owners depend upon the plan selected and there are many from which to choose. Prices vary, so there is no doubt that Nexcess can provide something to fit any budget. Some of the things that are available from this company include:
- Monitored hosting environment protects data from environmental factors, visitors and more.
- Constant staffing with electricians, technicians, support agents and more for round-the-clock security.
- Private cabinet colocation plans starting at less than $450.00 per month can be customized to any business's needs.
- Customizable data transfer speeds ensure that businesses get the perfect mix between speed and affordability.
- Multiple carrier choices available to provide business owners with plenty of options.
Business owners who want to tailor their colocation services to their needs as well as their budgets will find Steadfast to be a great option. With so many different ways to customize basic packages, there is no doubt that every business will find exactly what they need with this company.
Before any business owner can decide which option is best for his or her business, it is important to understand the differences between these various options. There are many similarities between colocation and managed hosting, but there are some variances that can make all of the difference when it comes to things like scalability, efficiency and more.
When a client signs up for a domain name, he or she may be offered hosting for an additional small fee. Similarly, some clients sign up for hosting services in which a third party company provides everything that a business owner needs to enjoy an online presence—the hardware, software, backbone internet connection, maintenance, upgrades, data backup, email inboxes and more. These services make up what is known as managed hosting, and it is a solution that is often best for very small businesses or those who are running a small business from home. Shared hosting and dedicated hosting are both types of managed hosting.
While managed hosting provides everything that a business needs to succeed online, colocation is somewhat different. Companies that provide colocation usually offer the facility for storing servers along with data recovery solutions in the event of a disaster. These facilities are climate controlled and secure, as well. Colocation is a great option for small to mid-sized businesses that could benefit from an IT department but have limited financial resources. The business will be required to provide the server and equipment, but the colocation facility handles the rest.
The differences between colocation and managed hosting are notable, but each solution is a great one in its own way. It is up to the business owner to decide which option will work best for his or her company and then choose a provider that is affordable, reputable and stable.
With all of the options out there for creating and maintaining an online presence, there are likely some questions in regard to when colocation should be a consideration. Colocation is not an all-inclusive solution, but it does offer plenty of options for companies that need access to servers without having to house them on-site.
Servers must be stored in extremely secure environments for various reasons. They must be safe from natural disaster and fire, the hardware requires constant temperature and humidity control, and the proper security protocols must be in place to prevent theft and other safety concerns. Purchasing or creating a facility is expensive, and it is often not in a small business's budget to do so. Colocation facilities exist to provide all of these things and more—albeit off-site—for an affordable monthly fee.
Peace of Mind
Aside from the financial benefits associated with colocation hosting, there are plenty of ways in which it can provide business owners with peace of mind. These facilities are equipped with the latest security technologies, there are often engineers and technicians on-site 24 hours a day, and the facilities themselves are often built with local environmental concerns in mind. This way, business owners can rest assured that their servers are protected at all times and that downtime will be incredibly limited—even in the face of natural disasters, fires and power outages.
There are plenty of reasons why colocation should be a consideration, particularly for small to mid-sized business owners who have come to understand that IT services are a very important part of running their companies.
Like any other method of obtaining and maintaining an online presence, colocation hosting has its benefits and downfalls. By taking the time to understand these and applying them to their needs, business owners can make better decisions regarding the long-term success of their companies.
Colocation hosting is a great way for small business owners to enjoy all of the perks of a fully-staffed IT department without actually having to house their own servers or hire their own technicians. Colocation companies provide the facility, the electricity, the internet connection, all of the required staff, backup solutions, data recovery, protection from disasters and more. The business owner only needs to provide the server and data. In some cases, the colocation company will lease this equipment for an additional fee.
While there are certainly some perks—particularly financial ones—there are also some disadvantages to colocation hosting. Business owners are required to deliver their servers to an off-site facility which is sometimes quite a distance away and then rely on that company's staff to protect not only the hardware, but the information stored within that hardware. Frequent equipment upgrades can become costly if the business owner must commute a great distance to upload them. However, in some cases, colocation companies can help to make this process simpler.
Business owners who do not mind placing their trust in an offsite facility can certainly benefit from colocation. However, those who are more interested in monitoring and maintaining their own equipment may want to avoid it.