Dedicated Hosting Information and Service Providers
Dedicated hosting is quite simple to understand. Essentially, it means that a business’s server is located in a data center—either onsite or offsite—but is still under the business’s complete control. Hence, the server is dedicated to the business and is not shared with anyone else. In the case of colocation, the server is located in an offsite data center and is controlled by the business, but there is a team of technicians standing by to assist with things such as upgrading hardware, firmware, resetting the server and even upgrading operating systems.
- Superb Internet Dedicated Hosting Overview
- Lunarpages Internet Dedicated Hosting Overview
- PhoenixNAP Internet Colocation Overview
- HostDime Internet Dedicated Hosting Overview
- Steadfast Internet Dedicated Hosting Overview
- Nexcess Internet Dedicated Hosting Overview
- Why Choose Dedicated Hosting?
- Dedicated vs. VPS and Shared Hosting
- The Pros and Cons to Dedicated Hosting
No matter the size of the business or the business’s needs, Superb has it covered with plenty of options from which to choose. These include not only budget options for small businesses that do not need a lot of support, but also complete enterprise packages for large businesses and corporations who have not yet transitioned to onsite hosting. They offer:
- Budget Hosting – Best for small to mid-size businesses that have a fair amount of website traffic and e-commerce.
- Corporate Hosting – Best for large businesses with a large amount of website traffic and e-commerce.
- Enterprise Hosting – Best for any size business that needs plenty of power and resources.
- Lease-to-Own Programs – A great choice for businesses that do not have the overhead required for purchasing their own servers and equipment up-front.
There are plenty of choices available, and Superb will work with business owners to discover the best package to fit not only the needs of the business, but also the business’s budget.
Lunarpages prides itself on offering business owners pre-constructed dedicated hosting packages with various add-ons. This allows the business owner to pick and choose what is necessary and what is not, thereby eliminating unnecessary charges for things that are not of immediate concern. Some of the best benefits that Lunarpages can offer when it comes to dedicated hosting include:
- Carefully bundled packages and add-ons to help business owners meet their needs at prices they can afford.
- 24-hour priority support and management ensures that business owners will never have to handle website or server issues on their own.
- Constant monitoring of the server and website in order to ensure constant uptime.
- Managed hosting along with dedicated hosting provides regular operating system updates and security patches.
Lunarpages takes the time to speak with business owners directly in order to help them determine their needs. Then, they will present the best options available along with a quote for services.
PhoenixNAP provides dedicated hosting services to thousands of customers worldwide and continues to receive rave reviews thanks to its ongoing commitment to customer satisfaction. The company offers plenty of server options as well as plenty of prices from which to choose. Some of the best features associated with PhoenixNAP dedicated hosting include:
- Around-the-clock live chat support, even on weekends and holidays. There is always someone standing by to answer questions, address concerns, or deploy a technician to resolve server and site issues.
- A 20-minute ticket response guarantee means that if there is ever an issue with your site or server, a technician will respond within 20 minutes of the ticket creation. This is a guaranteed service.
- 100% network uptime guarantee means that your site will never be offline due to a failure on PhoenixNAP’s part.
- Wide range of prices and options to suit the needs and budgets of any business.
PhoenixNAP also makes use of the Intel XEON range of processors in either single- or dual-processor variations. On top of this, business owners can select to add Dell SonicWall or Redundant Dell SonicWall for even more protection. These firewalls are some of the best in the industry.
HostDime is a bit different in that all of the dedicated servers it offers are fully managed—but they are available at great prices. The company is also well-known for providing only the latest and most revered technology in the industry, so business owners will never need to be concerned with lack of performance. The servers are also customizable, meaning that a variety of options to increase performance even more are always available. Some features associated with HostDime’s dedicated servers include:
- 100% managed servers are fully monitored by real people 24 hours a day, seven days a week and 365 days a year.
- The Synapse monitoring system is highly advanced and is HostDime’s proprietary security system.
- HostDime takes care of everything: setting up the server, troubleshooting, upgrades and everything in between.
- RAID options, SSD drives and endless amounts of RAM mean that performance is never an issue.
One of the best things about HostDime is that their IT specialists are their own and are never outsourced. They are always on hand to resolve issues immediately and ensure that servers experience nothing less than 100% uptime.
When it comes to dedicated servers, Steadfast is a trusted industry name. The company offers plenty in the way of features and options, so it is always the right fit for any business, regardless of its size or budget. The Steadfast Service Builder, available on the company’s website, makes selecting the server and services easier than ever. Some of the features available through the company’s dedicated server options include:
- 100% network uptime guarantee;
- Two-hour hardware replacement guarantee;
- The addition of IPs to the server when requested;
- Ping and service monitoring;
- Fast repair of major issues with pre-installed software;
- Guaranteed one hour of system administration monthly;
- On-demand DNS management, security assessments, virus protection, and more;
- Basic OS reinstalls free of charge;
- Round-the-clock phone and ticket support; and
- Personnel onsite at all times.
Steadfast takes its customer guarantees very seriously and offers everything in an SLA for even more security. Business owners can choose from general or high availability servers to best suit their needs.
Nexcess offers the Magento Hosting service and it is available in two different packages and varying price ranges. These include the SIP-400 dedicated hosting plan, featuring:
- Dual E5-2420 Hex Core Server
- Setup fee included in monthly costs
- Magento Community Edition software with the Enterprise Edition optional
- 600GB disk space
- 24GB server RAM
- 500GB CDN access
- 650GB per month data usage included
For businesses that need a little more, the SIP-500 plan includes:
- Dual X5650 Hex Core Server
- Setup fee included in monthly costs
- Magento Community Edition software with Enterprise Edition optional
- 600GB disk space
- 24GB server RAM
- 750GB CDN access
- 1000GB per month data usage included
Both plans also offer one account and one dedicated IP address per server. Business owners will receive SSH access, SSL certificates, Juniper hardware firewalls and much, much more.
There are many reasons why dedicated hosting can be a huge advantage over shared hosting, but the primary differences between these two options are performance and cost. Shared hosting costs less, but since the server is shared, performance can be affected. Dedicated hosting means that no other customers share the server; this increases performance.
More Performance at a Higher Cost
Many business owners tend to shy away from dedicated hosting because the costs are substantially higher than those associated with shared hosting. However, if the business has a lot of website traffic and plenty of e-commerce, then the additional performance is always well worth the cost. Consider this: if a business’s website experiences issues due to a ‘clogged server’, customers cannot make transactions. Sometimes, they might be unable to access the website at all. This is not the case with dedicated hosting; it allows the business owner to determine the exact amount of performance necessary to ensure that all traffic and transactions are handled seamlessly.
Features to Consider
Business owners who have made the decision to go with dedicated hosting have some options available to them. First, they can opt for what is known as managed hosting if they do not want the hassle of managing the server on their own. This means that everything from setup to maintenance and even routine upgrades will be handled by a third party. Similarly, business owners will want to ensure that the hosting company they choose provides plenty of network stability, easy operation and no issues with downtime.
Dedicated hosting is a great option for businesses that enjoy moderate to high levels of website traffic and e-commerce. Although it is definitely more expensive than shared hosting, this is an investment that is sure to bring a high return.
Dedicated hosting simply means that a server belongs solely to one business and is not shared with any other customers. In the case of VPS and shared hosting, however, this is not the case. Business owners will need to determine which option will work best for their businesses and their budgets.
Dedicated vs. VPS Hosting
The best thing about dedicated hosting is that everything is under the customer’s control. From rebooting the server to customizing the software, the customer has the final decision. When it comes to VPS hosting, however, this is not the case. Customers are often required to select from pre-installed software packages and rely on a third party to reboot and maintain the server. To put it simply, dedicated servers are able to run anything the hardware can handle. This is not often true of VPS hosting.
Dedicated vs. Shared Hosting
There is a huge difference between dedicated hosting and shared hosting. With shared hosting, customers share a server with other customers—sometimes as many as 2000. For small businesses which have very little website traffic and e-commerce, or for those websites that simply provide information rather than the ability to order products or services, this is often not a concern. However, as the business grows—or if the business decides to add things such as the ability to order products and services online—dedicated hosting is a better option. Since the server is not shared, there is more performance and the ability to allow for much more website traffic.
Once business owners have learned the differences between the different types of hosting, choosing one is often a no-brainer. Many of the companies that provide hosting will be more than happy to discuss the options and help business owners make the best possible choices.
Dedicated hosting is by far one of the best methods of hosting, but although there are plenty of benefits, there are also some downsides—especially when it comes to cost. However, in most cases, the return business owners receive on their investments is worth the cost.
When business owners choose dedicated hosting, it means that they will not be required to share their server with any other customers. This provides the best performance available and ensures that website visitors will not experience any issues while reading, ordering or performing any other activity on the website. Dedicated hosting is also available as a managed service, and this is a great option for business owners who do not want the hassle of maintaining their servers on their own. For those who want complete control, most companies provide this option, as well.
While dedicated hosting provides plenty in the way of performance, the cost can be much more than that associated with other types of hosting. As such, businesses that do not have a lot of website traffic or those that do not deal with e-commerce may benefit more from the lower-cost options like low-tier VPS hosting or even shared hosting. Some companies only offer non-managed dedicated hosting, so business owners who want some assistance when it comes to upgrades and the like will need to find an option that includes management, as well.
Overall, the pros and cons associated with dedicated hosting are offset by the reasons for its use. If a business wants full control over its server, dedicated hosting is worth the cost. Otherwise, smaller businesses can look into other options if they want to save money.